This page gives some more details about the Sling Library venue and Open Sessions. If you’ve got any questions not answered here, then please email email@example.com.
Deposits for Hired Items
Please be aware that for all carrier or sling hires we will ask you to provide a (refundable) deposit to cover the retail value of any items hired. This can be taken by cash or Paypal (if using Paypal it works best if you’re able to download the Paypal smart phone app before you come along). There is a cash point in the newsagent 1 minutes walk from where the Library Open Sessions are held.
We can now accept card payments, but an additional charge of 2.5% will be applied to all card deposit payments to help cover our costs of providing this service.
How to get to the Library
The South London Sling Library is held in Emily’s home at 34 York Hill, London, SE27 0AD, which is in the middle of the terrace of 60′s town houses and opposite the playpark.
Use the Transport For London website to plan your journey:
We’re within walking distance of West Norwood (5 mins), Tulse Hill (5 mins) and West Dulwich (10 mins) mainline Railway Stations, which are all in zone 3. The closest Tube Station is Brixton, which is about 10-15 minutes bus ride away. Buses 432, 196 and 2 all go from Brixton along Norwood Road and stop near the bottom of York Hill. Other buses that go near or down York Hill include 68, 315, 322 and 468. There is space to park bikes in the garden.
If you’re driving to us, we’re very close to the South Circular (A205) and free parking is available at the top of York Hill, on Royal Circus or around the corner on Knolly’s Road or Cambrian Close. Please don’t park on our drive (as parents with buggies won’t be able to get to the door), or on the yellow lines (we have very vigilant parking wardens in the area – you will get a ticket).
How much do the Open Sessions Cost?
It’s free to drop in to an Open Session to return borrowed carriers. We ask for a contribution of just £2 per adult for anyone coming to get information, help or advice and to try on carriers. An honesty box is placed by the sign-in table to collect contributions. Funds raised are put towards the running costs of administrating the Sling Library and paying for an assistant so that we’re able to help more people during Open Sessions.
When attending a Library drop-in session, please be aware of the following:
- During library opening hours we can show, describe and demonstrate the different carriers that we have available. You’ll be able to look at and feel the carriers and see the differences between them. If there is time, we’ll also help you to try on slings and carriers using a weighted doll or your own child, provided that this can be done safely.
- As loans are for a minimum of 2 weeks, not all of the carriers will be available at every session. The Library operates on a first come first served basis and so you may not always be able to borrow the carrier you first wanted. We will almost always be able to offer you a similar carrier to borrow instead, or to advise when the carrier you’d like to try is expected to be returned.
- The Library can get extremely busy at times, so please allow for being here for at least an hour or so. You’re more than welcome to feed or change your baby, to use the toilet and to make yourself tea/coffee while you wait – we want everyone to be as comfortable as possible!
- There is plenty of space to park buggies on the ground floor to the left as you enter the house. Please ensure that buggies do not block the front or back doors. The toilet is on the ground floor to the right of the back door.
- Library staff may have their own child/ren with them. At times they may therefore ask you to wait while they attend to their needs. Please be understanding and patient!
- When you arrive/leave, we’ll ask you to sign yourself and any children or person accompanying you in/out so that we know who is present at any particular time. In case of a fire, please leave the house using the front door, and assemble across the road outside the playpark.
- Demonstrations of carriers are carried out on the first floor, accessed by a flight of wooden stairs. There is also a step up to the front door. We’ll help you to get buggies into the house, and are more than happy to come down and do demonstrations on the ground floor if you’re unable to get up the stairs.
- The room where demonstrations take place has baby gates at the entrances; for the safety of any children present please ensure that these, and the door to the adjacent room are kept closed at all times. Please do not tamper with or move any other baby-proofing that is in place.
- While at the library, all of your possessions and any children that you have brought with you remain your full responsibility at all times. It is your responsibility that they are safe and well supervised; we cannot take responsibility for any theft, damage or harm that may come to your belongings or children while you are here.
- Refreshments (tea, coffee, squash, biscuits) are often available in the kitchen at a small charge. Please help yourself and leave payment for these in the honesty box provided. You’re of course welcome to freely help yourself to water from the tap or kettle.
- A small selection of baby-safe toys are available to play with (e.g. wooden toys, rattles, and soft or board books). Please ensure your children are supervised when playing with the toys, and that they do not accidentally take anything home with them!