This page gives some more details about the Sling Library venue and Open Sessions. If you’ve got any questions not answered here, then please email email@example.com.
Deposits for Hired Items
Please be aware that for all carrier or sling hires we will ask you to provide a (refundable) deposit to cover the retail value of any items hired. This can be taken by cash or Paypal (if using Paypal it works best if you’re able to download the Paypal smart phone app before you come along). There is a cash point outside Tescos, which is across the road from where the Library Open Sessions are held.
We can now accept debit and credit card payments, but an additional charge of 2.5% will be applied to all card deposit payments to help cover our costs of providing this service.
How to get to the Library
**VENUE MOVE FROM THE 20TH JANUARY 2014 – All Open Sessions from the 20th January will be held at our new home at 194 Beckenham Road, BR3 4RJ (full details will be updated as soon as we’ve got the keys)**
The South London Sling Library is held at 194 Beckenham Road, BR3 4RJ, which is opposite a Tesco Express and almost on the corner with Kent House Road. The Sling Library entrance is via the right hand gate and down the right hand side of the house. Please don’t come to the main front door of the house as we won’t be able to let you in while a session in running!
Use the Transport For London website to plan your journey:
We’re within walking distance of Kent House (2 mins), Clock House (10 mins), Penge East (15 mins) and Penge West (15 mins) mainline Railway Stations, which are all in zone 4. The closest Tram stop is Beckenham Road (5 mins), which is on Tramlink line 2. Buses 194, 227, 354 and 358 all go down Beckenham Road and past the house (see the bus map linked below). Other buses that run close by to Penge or Beckenham include 54, 75, 176, 197, 352 and 356. There is space to park bikes down the side of the house outside the Sling Library entrance.
If you’re driving to us, we are on a main road (the A234) and very easy to get to from all over South East London. Free parking is available on Kent House Road, Plawsfield Road, Barnmead Road and many other local streets. Please don’t park on the house driveway.
How much do the Open Sessions Cost?
It’s free to drop in to an Open Session to return borrowed carriers. We ask for a contribution of just £2 per adult for anyone coming to get information, help or advice and to try on carriers. An honesty pot is by the sign-in table to collect contributions. Funds raised are put towards the running costs of administrating the Sling Library and paying for our lovely assistants so that we’re able to help more people during Open Sessions.
When attending a Library drop-in session, please be aware of the following:
- During library opening hours we can show, describe and demonstrate the different carriers that we have available. You’ll be able to look at and feel the carriers and see the differences between them. If there is time, we’ll also help you to try on slings and carriers using a weighted doll or your own child, provided that this can be done safely.
- As loans are for a minimum of 2 weeks, not all of the carriers will be available at every session. The Library operates on a first come first served basis and so you may not always be able to borrow the carrier you first wanted. We will almost always be able to offer you a similar carrier to borrow instead, or to advise when the carrier you’d like to try is expected to be returned.
- The Library can get extremely busy at times, so please allow for being here for at least an hour or so. You’re more than welcome to feed or change your baby, to use the toilet and to make yourself tea/coffee while you wait – we want everyone to be as comfortable as possible!
- There is plenty of space to park buggies on the ground floor to the left as you enter the house. Please ensure that buggies do not block the front or back doors. The toilet is on the ground floor to the right of the back door.
- Library staff may have their own child/ren with them. At times they may therefore ask you to wait while they attend to their needs. Please be understanding and patient!
- When you arrive/leave, we’ll ask you to sign yourself and any children or person accompanying you in/out so that we know who is present at any particular time. In case of a fire, please leave using the Sling Library entrance, head towards the main road, cross safely at the crossing and assemble across the road by the Tesco Express carpark.
- Buggies are welcome and we’re currently building a ramp to the Sling Library entrance door. You may park your buggy inside if there is space, or outside on the decking beyond the door. Please don’t obstruct any doorways with your buggy.
- There may be baby gates in place; for the safety of any children present please ensure that these are kept closed at all times. Please do not tamper with or move any other baby-proofing that is in place.
- While at the library, all of your possessions and any children that you have brought with you remain your full responsibility at all times. It is your responsibility that they are safe and well supervised; we cannot take responsibility for any theft, damage or harm that may come to your belongings or children while you are here.
- A small selection of baby-safe toys are available to play with (e.g. wooden toys, rattles, and soft or board books). Please ensure your children are supervised when playing with the toys, and that they don’t accidentally take anything home with them!